Home

Your premium source for custom modification services for phpBB

logo

HomeForumsBlogMOD ManagerFAQSearchRegisterLogin

Comments August 22, 2008

Yeah, I Use IE, Wanna Make Something Of It?

Filed under: Londonvasion 2008 — Dave Rathbun @ 10:56 am CommentsComments (8)

In a word, or rather, in an emoticon: :-P

I am a creature of habit. I’ve been using IE6 for many years, and my client (in real life) uses it as their corporate standard. Yes, I know there are security issues that can occur. But with the corporate firewalls and various client workstation “lockdowns” they have in place it’s probably okay. As a result, I had kept IE6 on my laptop and my desktop here at home as well.

I’ve also commented more than once at various boards (like phpbb.com) about style or template issues with IE6, and generally I get the response:

You should really upgrade for security reasons

or

Use a modern browser that supports standards

or anything along those lines. So what is the point of this post?

At Londonvasion we had a presentation by someone that showed off a bunch of really cool styles for Joomla! + phpBB3 integration sites. He even showed some sites where a user could customize the color themselves, giving them a truly unique look for the site. He happened to mention that the techniques used for those styles didn’t work in IE6 so they just didn’t support it. I think at least half of the room (on my side, anyway) turned around and looked at me. :lol:

I upgraded my laptop to IE7 on the spot. I’m still getting used to it, but it does address all of the styles quirks for phpbb.com that I was experiencing with IE6. 8-)

8 Comments

1. About time. :P Though I still think you should use Firefox or similar, but at least it is a little better. :P

Comment by Micheal — August 22, 2008 @ 12:45 pm

2. I really dislike the Joomla sites or styles which have this huge, moronic notice about how you suck for using IE and should burn in hades, yadayada… Sometimes I’m just out and about and the only PC around happens to have IE. It’s like the Mac sites that bar all PC user-agents and other dumb stuff like that. If you think you’re so cool that you can deny some visitors (”I’ve got enough traffic/memebrs already, so what does it matter if some of them are told to piss off?”) to your site, then go ahead, but that’s the illogical thing to do since most sites want more people, and aren’t happy with the current level of traffic.

Plus, IE on Windows is still the most popular OS/browser config, so it’s really just a bad idea all around to persecute the masses.

Comment by Dog Cow — August 22, 2008 @ 2:13 pm

3. I’m glad you run IE6 on your desktop… otherwise, how would you have helped me “proof” my site for the IE crowd?? :-P

Comment by Kelly — August 22, 2008 @ 5:22 pm

4. Some years ago I started with IE6, but since I gave FF a try I never have been able to get used to IE again. There´s many very nice and useful plugins available for FF that make it so much better and more personalized.

Why don´t you just get completely out of control for a day or two and give FF a try? :-P

Comment by dogs and things — August 22, 2008 @ 6:21 pm

5. You should really watch this talk: http://dewy.fem.tu-ilmenau.de/CCC/24C3/mp4/24c3-2393-en-dns_rebinding_packet_tricks-COMPATIBLE.mp4 (quite entertaining too).

“But with the corporate firewalls and various client workstation “lockdowns” they have in place it’s probably okay. ” – No it’s definately not “okay”, as you will understand after seeing that talk.

Comment by naderman — August 26, 2008 @ 9:05 am

6. naderman, first of all welcome to my blog with your first comment. :) I will definitely check out the presentation.

Comment by Dave Rathbun — August 27, 2008 @ 1:43 pm

7. naderman: Thanks for the link. :) I’ve been trying to sneak in research about DNS Rebinding in between school, studying, eating, and sleeping (in that order :P ), but haven’t had much time.

Comment by Micheal — August 27, 2008 @ 1:58 pm

8. Just a word of warning for those who watch this (it is really good, you should watch it), it is long :P

Comment by Micheal — August 27, 2008 @ 8:44 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress